Gustav III's Museum of Antiquities
Welcome to one of Europe's oldest museums, which first opened its doors in 1794. Gustav III's collection of sculptures are shown in the Palace's stone galleries.
King Gustav III, who had a keen interest in art and antiquities, purchased several of the museum's sculptures during a journey to Italy at the end of the 1700s.
Shortly after Gustav III's death it was decided that the collection, which consisted of over 200 sculptures, would be shown in honour of the deceased king.
The exhibition hall consists of two stone galleries in the palace's north western wing, with a beautiful view over the Logården or "Shot Yard". The sculptures are placed in the gallery exactly as they were originally exhibited.
In the Larger Stone Gallery the collection's showpiece is displayed – Endymion – which awakened great interest in the 1700s.
Top image: Photo by Alexis Daflos /Royalpalaces.se